January 4, 2012
This policy applies to all of the products, services, and websites offered by GumshoePress, GumshoeBooks, SageCarrington.com, its subsidiaries, and affiliated companies (collectively, GumshoePress “services”).
GumshoePress adheres to the Safe Harbor principles of Notice, Choice, Onward Transfer, Security, Data Integrity, Access and Enforcement, and is registered with the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Safe Harbor Program.
If you have any questions about this Policy, please feel free to contact us through our website or write to us at Privacy Matters, c/o GumshoePress, P.O. Box 458, New York, NY, 10027, USA.
- Information We Collect and How We Use It
- Choices for Personal Information
- Privacy and Information Sharing
- Information Security
- Data Integrity
- Accessing and Updating Personal Information
- Changes to This Policy
- Disclosure Statement
- Copyright Statement
Information We Collect and How We Use It
We offer a number of services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us, such as “Advice & Tips” and “Product Reviews”. In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide – When you sign up for Email Blog Delivery, Email Newsletter Delivery, or other GumshoePress promotions that requires registration, we will ask for personal information (such as your name and email address). We may combine the information you submit under your account with information from other GumshoePress services in order to provide you with a better experience and to improve the quality of our services. For certain services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information.
- User communications – When you send email or other communication to GumshoePress, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests, and improve our services.
- Links – GumshoePress may present links in a format that enables us to keep track of whether these links have been followed. We use this information to improve the quality of our search technology and customized content.
- Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services;
- Ensuring the technical functioning of our network; and
- Developing new services.
GumshoePress processes personal information on web servers hosted by various third parties such as Media Temple, Google, GoDaddy, and Aweber.
Choices for Personal Information
When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we ask you to provide personal information. If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
If we propose to use personal information for any purposes other than those described in this Policy and/or in the specific service notices, we will offer you an effective way to opt out of the use of personal information for those other purposes. We will not collect or use sensitive information for purposes other than those described in this Policy and/or in the specific service notices, unless we have obtained your prior consent.
You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case GumshoePress may not be able to provide those services to you.
Privacy and Information Sharing
GumshoePress recognizes the importance of privacy. As such, GumshoePress only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of GumshoePress in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We provide such information to our subsidiaries, affiliated companies or other trusted businesses or persons for the purpose of processing personal information on our behalf. We require that these parties agree to process such information based on our instructions and in compliance with this Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of GumshoePress, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who searched for a particular term, for example, or how many users clicked on a particular weblog article. Such information does not identify you individually.
Please contact us at the email address support at gumshoepress dot com with any additional questions about the management or use of personal data.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where our company website and business data are stored.
We restrict access to personal information to GumshoePress employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
GumshoePress processes personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and in accordance with this Policy or any applicable service-specific privacy notice. We review our data collection, storage and processing practices to ensure that we only collect, store and process the personal information needed to provide or improve our services. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is accurate, complete, and current, but we depend on our clients to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary.
Accessing and Updating Personal Information
When you use GumshoePress services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information. We also aim to allow you to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing within our backup systems), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort. Some of our services have different procedures to access, correct or delete users’ personal information.
GumshoePress regularly reviews its compliance with this Policy. Please feel free to direct any questions or concerns regarding this Policy or GumshoePress treatment of personal information by contacting us through this web site or by writing to us at Privacy Matters, c/o GumshoePress, GumshoePress, P.O. Box 458, New York, NY, 10027, USA. When we receive formal written complaints at this address, it is GumshoePress policy to contact the complaining user regarding his or her concerns. We will cooperate with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that cannot be resolved between GumshoePress and an individual.
Changes to This Policy
If you have any additional questions or concerns about this Policy, please feel free to contact us any time through this web site or at Privacy Matters, c/o GumshoePress, GumshoePress, P.O. Box 458, New York, NY, 10027, USA.
GumshoePress is a Limited Liability Company registered in the state of New York.
GumshoePress web site disseminates general information pertaining to teachers, librarians, parents, and teen readers. Accordingly, the information resulting from the use of tools or information on this Internet site should not be construed, in any manner whatsoever, as the receipt of, or a substitute for, professional individual advice.
For information pertaining to the registration status of GumshoePress, please contact the New York state corporations division administrators. A copy of GumshoePress current written disclosure statement discussing GumshoePress business operations, services, and fees is available from GumshoePress upon written request.
Opinions expressed herein are solely those of GumshoePress. GumshoePress does not make any representations or warranties as to the accuracy, timeliness, suitability, completeness, or relevance of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party, whether linked to/from GumshoePress web site or incorporated herein, and takes no responsibility therefore. All such information is provided for convenience purposes only and all users thereof should be guided accordingly.
THE SERVICE AND THE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED BY SageCarrington.com ON AN “AS IS” BASIS, AND SageCarrington.com EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION AND PRODUCTS. IN NO EVENT SHALL SageCarrington.com BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE, THE INFORMATION AND THE PRODUCTS.
This web site is believed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regards to the subject matter covered. The accuracy of the information is not
guaranteed and is provided with the understanding that we are not rendering medical, psychological, legal, accounting, tax, or other professional services. If expert assistance is required, the services of a competent, licensed professional should be sought.
All material contained herein including text, photos, articles, and logos are copyright protected and may not be reproduced for commercial purposes without the express written permission of the copyright owner. SageCarrington.com rights owned by GumshoePress. Copyright © 2011-2012. All Rights Reserved.